I am a heavy green tea drinker. Not only do I constantly drink green tea, but I love to incorporate it into my beauty remedies. With all the healthy benefits the tea provides, it is always my go to for a source of vitamins and antioxidants.
Green tea is known for its healing antioxidants called polyphenols. The plant also has the presence of a super antioxidant called epigallocatechin-gallate, along with several other healing substances. All of this goodness makes green tea effective in raising metabolism for weight loss, as well as in aiding in prevention of cancer and other disease. Although not scientifically proven, green tea has been used to help regulate blood sugar and blood pressure, boost the immune system, prevent ulcers, control inflammation, viral colds and flu, prevents gum disease, cavities, and bad breath for thousands of years.
Along with this never ending list of health benefits, green tea in skincare is known to help prevent acne, as well as help with wrinkles and anti-aging skin. With that being said, I am a huge fan of indie beauty products that have a healthy dose of Green tea, such as the Beija-Flor Naturals Moroccan Tea Butter. This product is formulated to be the ultimate nourishment for skin and hair and contains a healthy dose of organic matcha green tea, a more potent, vitamin packed whole leaf version of herbal tea. This “cure all” butter based product that was formulated for both hair and skin. With other high end ingredients such as Moroccan argan oil, Jojoba OIl and Vitamin E, the Moroccan Tea Butter is winning for everything from a pre-shampoo hair treatments to an anti-aging facial cream.
Below is an effective DIY Green Tea Face Steam that I like to make at home. The steam from the green tea helps rejuvenate my skin, cleanse, detoxify and eliminate dirt from my pores.
To Create this DIY Facial Steamer just follow these three easy steps:
1. Boil water and add a tea bag or two to the steaming water.
2. After allowing the tea bags sit in the boiling water for a few minutes, pour the green tea into a
large dish. I prefer to use something like a Pyrex dish or a cake dish but a large bowl can work
3. At this time, feel free to add a few drops of essential oils into the tea. I like to add a few drops of calming lavender before bed because it helps me sleep and smells amazing.
4. Set a timer to 5 to 10 minutes
5. Take a towel and hang it over the back of your head as you hover your face above the dish. You
should be creating a tent with the towel to prevent the steam from escaping. Start the timer and
6. Once you have finished steaming your face, gently rinse your face with cool water and apply a
all natural, alcohol free toner. There are many options depending on your skin type, you can find a variety of natural toners at the Concept Forty Seven Online Store.
7. Follow up with a nourishing face moisturizer such as the previously mentioned Moroccan Tea Butter and enjoy your radiant skin!
by Miranda Evans